Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze

To: mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net
Subject: Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
Matt Liggett writes:

> Everyone,
>
> I'm currently drilling out 2 waterpump bolts which are really badly
> siezed in my A-series block.  When I'm done, I plan to install studs and
> nuts instead of bolts.  Carroll Smith reccomends the use of Loc-Tite on
> studs that are installed in a casting.  Makes sense to me, but I also
> want to Anti-Sieze these buggers so they don't do this to me again!  What
> to do?  Should I just throw the Loc-Tite out for these paticular items?

You don't want the studs to come out, right?  Then Loctite 'em.  If
you do ever want to remove them, you can break the Loctite by
heating the stud.  But since you don't need to remove the studs to
take off the pump (right?) then there shouldn't be any reason
to remove the studs.

> Will Loc-Tite prevent corrosion?

Some.  If you're really scrupulous about cleaning out the
bolt hole and stud and use excess Loctite then the gap between
the stud and block should be completely filled with Loctite.

--
Eric Murray  Chief Security Scientist  N*Able Technologies  www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at  lne.com   or   nabletech.com)          PGP keyid:E03F65E5