Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze

To: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Subject: Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:34:01 -0500
Nils O. Ny wrote:

> >I beg to differ.  Have used loctite products for many years.  Nuts fixed
> >in place with loctite are easily broken loose.  Studs can be double
> >nutted and broken loose, or in the case of thread problems, removed with
> >a stud puller.  Loctite thread lockers, i.e. 242 or 271 for larger
> >fasteners, are intended to keep the fasteners from loosening with
> >vibration as does a nyloc nut or lock washer.  Loctite used as intended
> >will not prevent later disassembly.  John
> >

> I think you are missing the point here !   Studs used in
> engine blocks were not intended to be put in with Loc-Tite
> or similar products.  There is no problem removing studs
> that are not broken (Everyone can do that !)   There is no
> way to double nut or use a stud puller to remove the half
> that's left in the block.  If you use just plain oil or a little
> anti-seize I have been able to remove the piece without
> too much trouble.   I invite you to try it after you have
> used Loc-Tite on it !    It ain't any fun at all !
>
> Regards, Nils
Again, I beg to differ.  The issue under discussion was the use of
thread locker in installing replacement studs, after the broken stud had
been removed.  The representation was made that loctite would prohibit
subsequent disassembly.  It will not.  further, the purpose of using a
stud rather than a bolt that would be removed fron the casting from time
to time is that the threads in the casting are not suitable for multiple
dissassemblies.  I have yet to see a fastener secured by loctite that is
sufficiently corroded to shear, not even close.  A stud in a casting is
properly installed by threading it in little more than finger tight,
secured with loctite.  Lets not malign fine products if we don't
understand their application.  John