Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:31:32 -0400
At 03:14 AM 4/29/98 +0000, Matt Liggett wrote:

>Everyone,
>
>I'm currently drilling out 2 waterpump bolts which are really badly
>siezed in my A-series block.  When I'm done, I plan to install studs and
>nuts instead of bolts.  Carroll Smith reccomends the use of Loc-Tite on
>studs that are installed in a casting.  Makes sense to me, but I also
>want to Anti-Sieze these buggers so they don't do this to me again!  What
>to do?  Should I just throw the Loc-Tite out for these paticular items?
>Will Loc-Tite prevent corrosion?
>
>I know this isn't exactly shop-talk, but it seems like a general question
>and I'm not aware of any "engine assembly" lists.

I would not use Loc-Tite on engine studs.
The whole idea is that you don't want to go through the
drilling bit again when a stud breaks and that is exactly what
you will end up doing if you use the Loc-Tite.

There must be some reason for the corrosion and if you
are getting water into the stud area I would just use a waterproof
grease (like what they use on boat outdrives etc.) and maybe a
light coating of Anti-Seize compound.   Another solution for areas
where water exposure is a problem is to put the stud in with a
combo of oil and Anti-Seize and then when the stud is in all the
way except for one turn, wipe a little RTV around the base and
screw it in the last turn to seal up the stud hole.

After all is said and done .... it's the "how do I get the @$#&% broken
half of the stud still in the engine block out?"  that you want to avoid.
Isn't it ?

Regards, Nils