Re: speed control

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Subject: Re: speed control
From: Roger Korn <rkorn@europa.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:02:54 -0800 (PST)
It gets worse. You also need a DC motor that will run about $400 for 1hp.
The prices in Grainger's are, unfortunately, hard to beat. The modern speed
controls work very well - speed is practically constant from zero to full
load, and you can really go down to 40 or 50 rpm with an 1800 rpm motor. I
build custom potter's wheels for doing BIG work (like a 7 foot high, 8 foot
wide pot for a pine tree, weighing 900 lb) and use this combo all the time.
It's great, but boy is it EXPENSIVE.

How about using 4 or 5-step pulleys? Not as cool, cause you gotta stop and
move the belt, but it's WAY cheap.

Another route is to use the Makita 1/2" "Arm-buster" as its known. They're
about $130 and even the sheetrockers, who abuse the hell out of them mixing
mud, get a couple of years out of them. I think top speed is 600 rpm, but
they'll go down to real slow too.

Good luck, Roger