Re: speed control

To: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us
Subject: Re: speed control
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:03:06 -0500
Item Subject: speed control
     An ordinary light dimmer would work on a motor under more ordinary
     circumstances, but in this case the load is way too high. Also, start-up
     currents on electric motors are much higher than operating, and this
     must be taken into account. Everything drives the price up....
     Do you need to vary the speed "live", or do you just want to change it
     once in a while? If the latter, you could use stepped pulleys as is
     done for a drill press.
     Regards,
     Jim Wallace