Re: 220v circuit in garage

To: paulr@lsid.hp.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 220v circuit in garage
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 17:43:12 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-09, Paul Richer wrote:

>  There's nothing wrong with having the extra
>  capacity if you are willing to pay for it, but like others have said,
>  There's other things I would rather spend my money on.

 Paul:

I couldn't agree with you more, if we are truly talking about "extra"
capacity. If we knew for sure what the maximum load we would ever be drawing,
it would be easy to figure the supply capacity. When I added 100 amp service,
several years ago, I thought it was overkill. I did the load calculations,
which you did, a while back, and found I was close to the limit, unless I
watched very carefully what loads I ran at any one time. As long as I don't
buy any larger power tools, I will be OK. However, I am already  planning a
larger compressor. My welder pulls 60 amps on the high setting, enough to
stress a 60 amp supply by itself.

Again, the cost of adding the extra capacity now is much less than adding it
later. I have no idea how many or what size tools Larry will add as time goes
by, and if he is like most of us, he doesn't either, but if in doubt, and he
can afford it, I recommend he goes bigger rather than smaller.

There is no right answer (at least not now - as time goes by, the answer will
become clear). It's a judgement call.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN