Re: 220v circuit in garage

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 220v circuit in garage
From: Paul Richer <paulr@lsid.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 13:27:03 -0700
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> > I'm having a new home built, and I'd like to get it wired with 220v
> >  to the garage. Any recommendations as to the amperage I should allow
> >  for? I'm expecting to eventually use the circuit for a compressor,
> >  a small welder and a space heater. No, I don't own these toys yet,
> >  I'm just trying to plan ahead.
>
> Larry:
>
> Run as much as you can afford, at least 100 amp. Sooner or later, you will be
> welding in the winter with the heater on, and the compressor will kick in. At
> that rate, even a 100 amp service may not be big enough. That's assuming the
> lights and convience outlets are on the same service as the house. My garage
> is detached from the house, and the 100 amp service I have there is not big
> enough. I plan to update to 200 amps when I can.
>
> At this point in the house construction, the additional cost is minimal.
> Later on, the cost will be much higher. If it were my house, I would install
> a separate 100 amp service panel in the garage, and add outlets/circuits
> later, as I determined where I would actually be using them.
>
> Dan Masters,
> Alcoa, TN

A big factor to consider is whether or not you plan to heat the shop
with
electricity.   I use propane for heat and feel that I can
get more that enough power from a 60 amp service.  My lighting load
is 1960 watts which draws 9 amps at 220 (12 80w shop lites and 2 500 w
halogens).  The compressor draws 16 amps at 220.  If I happen to be
using
the arc welder, there goes another 30 amps which is getting close to the
60 amp total, but I can't think of many more "unattended" loads that I
could
be running in my shop... and I could always turn off the compressor.

My house is a different story.  Its all electric and I could be running
the
washer, dryer, hot-water heater and oven along with the electric
furnace.
This along with the lights, dishwasher, TV and my daughter's
hairdryer...
all this on a 200 amp service.  I think this much power is overkill
for a typical shop.   There's nothing wrong with having the extra
capacity if you are willing to pay for it, but like others have said,
There's other things I would rather spend my money on.

Paul

--
                               Paul Richer
                               paulr@lsid.hp.com