Re: Wire Welders

To: Mark Iansiti <MTI1971@worldnet.att.net>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire Welders
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:18:19 -0400
At 01:13 AM 4/14/97 +0000, Mark Iansiti wrote:
> Please advise:  I am considering the purchase of an inexpensive
> welder to assist in the restoration of a bugeye sprite and other
> light welding applications......

Mark,

   I agree with what everyone has said.  If you get a wire feed
welder, spend the extra money for the MIG conversion (gas).
I purchased a Lincoln SP100 several years ago, by the time I got the
hood, gloves, bottle, regulator, and wire spool, the out the door
price tag was $850.  In addition to that I purchased a addon auto
darkening lense for another $100.

  So you see, from the traffic that your meger $150 investment will
probably be much more expensive.  But remember you get what you pay
for.  A couple of additional items to look at when you purchase you
welder are:

  1. the number of adjustment stops for both the voltage and wire
     feed.  My SP100 is continuously variable.  What this does is
     allow you to regulate the machine to fit you welding skills or
     lack there of.  If you only have 4 heat settings a 3 to 5 wire
     speed settings, YOU will have to learn to be a better welder
     to compensate for the machine.  Meaning that you will have to
     learn to move you hand faster or slower, etc depending of the
     size of metal and how fast the wire is comming out the end.

  2. If you purchase a wire-feed welder, and decide to got to for
     the gas add-on. You will also have to get a new liner for you
     welding feed.  They have a teflon liner to allow the wire to
     slide through the cable easly.  The size of the liner is
     dependent on the size of the wire you use.

  3. How big of a spool will it take.  Some of the inexpensive welders
     will only take the small spool of wire, about 3 lbs (I think).
     My SP100 will take an 11 lb. spool.  I find that the 11# spool
     feeds much better than the smaller spools.  It also takes an
     adapter.

Good luck with you purchase.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire