re: Wire Welders

To: Mark Iansiti <MTI1971@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: re: Wire Welders
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 15:18:34 -0700
If it's just light welding you're interested in I'd recommend a small MIG
welder (wire feed). I've used gas and gasless as well as acetylene and these
are my thoughts;
1)Acetylene - very versatile - can cut as well as weld. However, distortion is
a very real problem with this as a lot of heat is put into the panel. It also
takes some considerable skill to get good at welding with the gas torch. Safety
is an issue and I've nearly had a few fires due to passing the flame
inadvertantly across some plastic etc - imagine waving the torch around when
you're wearing goggles and can't really see what you're doing! Also takes a
while to set the welding kit up for each session - and learning to get the
right flame - expect to need a lot of practise!
2) MIG -The kit is cheaper, compact, safer to store and use, good on thin metal
too. Get one that goes down to a very low current for thin panels but don't
worry about max current too much unless you're wanting to weld lorry chassis!
Gasless is OK but does leave some deposit which can be wire brushed away - it's
convenient but some say the weld quality will be inferior ( though I've used it
on numerous pieces of chassis work and they haven't failed yet). The wire is
much more expensive but you don't have to pay for gas! Go for one that is
fan-cooled so the unit doesn't keep cutting out.
So, the choice is yours - IMHO I'd go for MIG with gas and get the cleaner
(possibly stronger) weld,
Andy
69 Vitesse
76 Triumph 2.5S
From: Mark Iansiti <MTI1971@worldnet.att.net>, on 14/04/97 01:13:
Please advise:  I am considering the purchase of an inexpensive welder to
assist in the restoration of a bugeye sprite and other light welding
applications.  Due to shop electrical limitations, I must stay at 115 volts
15-20 amps.   I am looking in the Northern catalogue at an 80amp gasless
'Handymate' wire feed welder. Welds 22 guage to 3/16th" steel.  At $199 am I
wasting money?  I'd like to stay under $225 if possible.  Are these types of
units ok for body sheet metal.  How do they compare to gas wire feed or
acetylene?  I am not an experienced welder, but have done some gas cutting
and have been successful at sticking a few pieces of metal together. Thanks
in advance.

Mark
74 Spitfire
70 Midget