Re: Wire Welders

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire Welders
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:06:13 -0700
>I bought the Lincoln Weldpack 100 and the MIG conversion kit which goes with
>it.  I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think that the whole
>thing came in at about $500.  I used it to replace the sills and one
>floor on my MGB and it worked quite well.
>
>If I had it to do over, I would have gone to a welding shop and asked
>for recommendations after telling them what I had in mind doing and
>what my (lack of) skill level was.

I bought a Lincoln SP125.  It was on sale for $475, and comes all ready to use
gas.  Well, you do need to buy a regulator too (~$75).  The thing works great;
just get some scrap metal to practice with first.  Once you get it right for
the first time, it's very easy to repeat.  Much easier than stick or gas.

>Another item that you will probably want is a mask with the auto-darkening
>filter.  Especially for an inexperienced welder or a someone who does
>not weld every day, this can make your work much easier.

And you know, I just happen to have an extra, brand new one I got for a
present.  I can't return it except for credit, so it's for sale.  Details
available on request.

Mike