Re: Wire Welders

To: MTI1971@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Wire Welders
From: ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:09:51 -0400

> Please advise:  I am considering the purchase of an inexpensive welder to
> assist in the restoration of a bugeye sprite and other light welding
> applications.  Due to shop electrical limitations, I must stay at 115 volts
> 15-20 amps.   I am looking in the Northern catalogue at an 80amp gasless
> 'Handymate' wire feed welder. Welds 22 guage to 3/16th" steel.  At $199 am I
> wasting money?  I'd like to stay under $225 if possible.  Are these types of
> units ok for body sheet metal.  How do they compare to gas wire feed or
> acetylene?  I am not an experienced welder, but have done some gas cutting
> and have been successful at sticking a few pieces of metal together. Thanks
> in advance.
>
> Mark
> 74 Spitfire
> 70 Midget
> 60 Bugeye (project)
> 76 TR7 Complete
> 77 TR7 Parts Car

I bought the Lincoln Weldpack 100 and the MIG conversion kit which goes with
it.  I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think that the whole
thing came in at about $500.  I used it to replace the sills and one
floor on my MGB and it worked quite well.

If I had it to do over, I would have gone to a welding shop and asked
for recommendations after telling them what I had in mind doing and
what my (lack of) skill level was.

Another item that you will probably want is a mask with the auto-darkening
filter.  Especially for an inexperienced welder or a someone who does
not weld every day, this can make your work much easier.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II