FW: Re: Garage Floors

To: shop-talk
Subject: FW: Re: Garage Floors
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:44:18 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Matt Liggett
<mliggett@bluemarble.net>]]

     Date: 10 Apr 1997 16:06:44 -0500
     From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
     Subject: Re: Garage Floors

prsmith@navnet.net writes:
> I will build a 25 x 30 gambrel roofed garage with two 8'H x 9'W
> doors in one narrow end.  The upper floor will serve as a wood hobby
> workshop (will probably design the floor for a live load of 100
> pounds per square foot and a dead load of 15 pounds per square foot
> - does any one have any idea whether this loading is overkill for
> domestic wood working tools like a ShopSmith, radial arm saw,
> bandsaw etc).  I will probably use a 30' I-Beam running the length
> of the building - this should allow me to eliminate the support
> poles on the main floors.

If you want a strong, clearspan structure, consider a monolithic dome.
Also happens to be tornado-proof, if that's an issue.  ;-)

See

  http://www.monolithicdome.com/

I'm not joking.  Cheaper to build, better-insulated, stronger, more
weatherproof, and cheaper to maintain than framed structures.  You
could add a loft as your woodshop.

Just a thought.  I have no connection with the Monolithic Dome
Institute, other than thinking about building one of their structures
some day.

--
Matt Liggett <mliggett@pobox.com>
Technical Director, HelpAnswers.com