Wire Welders

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wire Welders
From: Mark Iansiti <MTI1971@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:13:09 +0000
Please advise:  I am considering the purchase of an inexpensive welder to
assist in the restoration of a bugeye sprite and other light welding
applications.  Due to shop electrical limitations, I must stay at 115 volts
15-20 amps.   I am looking in the Northern catalogue at an 80amp gasless
'Handymate' wire feed welder. Welds 22 guage to 3/16th" steel.  At $199 am I
wasting money?  I'd like to stay under $225 if possible.  Are these types of
units ok for body sheet metal.  How do they compare to gas wire feed or
acetylene?  I am not an experienced welder, but have done some gas cutting
and have been successful at sticking a few pieces of metal together. Thanks
in advance.

Mark
74 Spitfire
70 Midget