Re: Rover V8 prices...

To: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>, <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rover V8 prices...
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:47:49 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
>I'll probably take a slightly different twist than everyone else when
it
>comes to the tranny.  Conversion Comp in New Zealand sells a kit to
bolt on
>a Toyota Supra 5spd (wide ratio) gear box to RV8s for about $1300,
including
>the rebuilt 5spd trans (2mo warrantee on rebuild).
>
>I've heard good things about the Supra trans, and it is just a big
cheaper
>than a rebuilt 5spd LT77 Rover trans.

Why the Supra box for $1300?  Sure, the 5 spd T-5 box is not
bombproof.  You could always go for the Tremec Ford box.  That costs
around $1000 or so, and is bombproof.  I know a fellow who is pounding
over 400 horses into that thing with no problems.

You can get the T-5 from wreckers, or Curtis Hunter out in California
can get you one for a reasonable price.  Picked up ours from Curtis,
with B&M shifter for $250, I believe.  Has good ratios, although with
3.9 original rear end, 1st gear won't be used much.  We're building up
a Ford 8" rear end with 3.00 pumpkin for it, but don't know about disc
brakes yet.  We believe that the money is better spent putting Porsche
911 brakes up front and just leave the drums alone.

I'm just saying, why complain about the $2-3k for the Rover motor,
when you're spending more than necessary on the tranny.  Sure the T-5
ain't Brit, but we are talking about CONVERSIONS now.  Dunno about the
Rover box, except they are probably over $500.  Can't comment on the
fitment.

Jay