HP and Torque

To: <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: HP and Torque
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:57:57 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
All this activity with the MGB-V8 mailing list has me wondering.

What kind of horsepower and torque should I expect with this motor?

holley 390 cfm
3.5 liter bored over 0.020
9.6:1 Buick pistons
fully balanced internals
light porting and polishing of the heads
Crane cam; can't remember duration.  Somewhere around 268, I think.
Crane tech said, increased HP with little loss in torque.

Am still working out the exhaust.  Would like to go custom, but can't
find anyone who will take the time.  Likely 2" after collector.  Dual
exhaust.

Crane HI-6 CD ignition box and Magnecor wires.

Has anyone gotten their ride up to a dyno?

I'm working over the design of an in car dyno using strain gages
mounted to driveshaft.  If the design is good, I will get numbers
equal to the rolling road.  Of course, this takes time and money, and
right now time is my problem.

Anyway, RPI states 10-15 HP with carbs.  Probably lose torque with
carbs vs. torque, but no problem.  Stage 1 heads like we have can add
20-30 HP.  Headers add 10 HP, I suppose.  The higher compression has
got to be worth something.

So... Is 225 HP at flywheel unrealistic?  I was thinking 200 ft-lbs.
The Crane ignition box is to help ensure clean burn.  BTW, the Crane
box is well worth the money for carbed cars.

In a few years, after all the grease gets out from under my
fingernails, I want to get another Porsche.  Thinking of 911SC, 3.0L
motor.  Around 180 HP conservatively.  I need to know if I need that
supercharger to woop up this MGB-V8.  I know, I know.  Nazi,
ass-engined slot car, but I'm half German.  Must keep the heritage.
Plus build quality of P-car rivals the warm beer influenced junk of
British.  Hehe.  Got my flame suit on.  Flame away.

jay