RE: enough is not enough, or is it?

To: "'Pip Bucknell'" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>, "'Ray'" <spook01@home.com>, <Kellmg@aol.com>
Subject: RE: enough is not enough, or is it?
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:46:59 -0600
Cc: "'MMM List UK'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Pip, Ray, and Brian along with other Listers,

The following was received from Bob Clare, the MGCC Triple-M Registrar,
on the questions of Pas converted to PBs.

Lew,

Where to begin??????

Let's start with the somewhat doubtful experimental PB.  This had a
chassis designated "XX" and an engine bored out to 939cc using PA block
1037AP apparently, though the car which originally had that engine still
exists in the hands of Patrick Gardner and I haven't had a chance to
check what engine it now has.  Anyway, for your purposes I guess you can
ignore this vehicle.

So to the PB's proper - I agree that Terry Andrews article is very
useful, however, it contains an error or two including the first PB's
origin.
Terry said this was converted from PA 2086.  It fact it was PA 2068.  So
we
have:

PB Chassis No           PB eng no               Converted from

PB 0251                 500A199PB       PA 2068
PB 0252 - 0588          501-853A199PB   first time production
PB 0589 - 613 incl      1012-1036AP*    PA's 2188, 2196, 2203,2186,
2149,                                               2148, 2039, 2176,
                                        2163, 2199, 2184, 2193, 2214,
2137,                                               1960, 2179,
                                        2166, 2170, 2180, 2235, 2232,
2243,                                               2238, 2233, & 2229
                                        in that order.
PB 0614 - 0711          848-938A199PB   first time production

PB 0712                 2/538A*         PA 2146

PB 0713 - 0775          939-1000A199PB  first time production

*Without going up to Abingdon I'm not sure whether these numbers were
all stamped on their blocks as ????A199PB or are as they appear here
which is what is recorded in the chassis and build book summaries which
I keep here for reference.  They may appear in my summary records like
this simply because there was no room in the column space to put "APB"
so the clerical
folk left out the "PB" or the "B".   I suspect that's the explanation
since
PB 0283, which originally had engine number 538A199PB, lost that engine
on 25/10/35.  If it was re-used, then it would probably have been
numbered 2/538A199PB, or 2/538APB for short.  Thus "1012-1036AP" above
should probably read "1012-1036A199PB" and "2/538A" should read
"2/538A199PB".

So Terry's numbers were correct, a total of 27 PA's were converted to
PB's.

So far as records show, all the converted cars used both the chassis and
engines from their respective PA parents except PB 0712.   Its parent PA
had engine number 2422AP originally but lost that and had a strange
replacement numbered EX5978/2 at some point before the chassis was
converted.  Its PB engine almost certainly came from PB 0283 as
mentioned above.

I hope that's helpful to all concerned with this debate.

Bob Clare
Registrar