enough is not enough, or is it?

To: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: enough is not enough, or is it?
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:46:22 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
To MMM MG owners & enthusiasts,

I think I have started something that has got a bit out of control.  Having
said that, I have enjoyed all that has come in, except for the fact that I
seem to have upset a few.

I apologise to those few, including John Morris who's recent message came
through. I had no intention of upsetting anyone.

So let me try and clear up a few points relating to what I raised about MMM
MG's :-
1) Using the English Language from the country where our cars were built, you
simply cannot correctly apply the word Replica to a car not built (designated
& Guarantee serviced) at the Factory.  That is fact.
2) Any car that falls into those guide lines, using the word Replica,
therefore becomes a fake.
3) Adding a blower (or modern petrol) to a factory produced car does not make
it a replica (in my book) as it is still the car built by the factory.  A
slightly different issue is involved when making a J2 into a J3 or a L1 into a
L2 or a PB into a PA (heavens forbid) & so on as these examples are FAKES.
Once a PA (as an example), always a PA or otherwise it is a FAKE.
4)The argument of originality did not come into the "issue" I was trying to
bring forward.

There are many difficult individual problems for the register such as K3015 &
its un numbered cars partner that has most of the racing history.  The fact
that there may well be 2 Q-types in Australia (of which, I understand, neither
have chassis numbers) is also an interesting issue.

I agree that owners of MMM MG's should be entitled to do what they like with
them.  The issue that I was attempting to make was that if the designation of
the car as made by the factory is subsequently changed, it is not a REPLICA
but it is a FAKE.

Tom Metcalf's chassis will always be an F (something), Terry Sanders TA will
always be a TA.

Then, you could consider that I have the only known remains of EX127.  If I
build a car round these remains, using an MG Factory Produced Chassis, what do
I have & is it worth building such a car ?  Can I sue the bloke who sold it to
me in 1964 if it is not EX127.

But the basis of this concern of mine about FAKES has sprung from a very long
standing desire to see the proper facts are  recorded. It is important to me
that myths are not perpetrated.  Such as not having "some Turkey" saying after
my death that Bobby Kohlrausch was shot in Germany & his car taken away by
some officious official.  This printed history is simply untrue.

I have spent some 40 years researching Kohlrausch & his cars. Then along comes
a wonderful book which on page 238 says "THE COMPLETE MG EX-REGISTER -
1929-77.  I wonder what you think that means.

In this "register", as published in this book there are claims that EX127 &
154 were combined (meaning that EX127 became EX154)  & EX154 was later
destroyed.  Now I know Gerhard will read this in Germany and we may get some
more information.

But that turns out not to be the case according to that books author.

On Xmas Eve I finally get an E-mail from the Author who says "Re-examining
most of my sources I agree that none that I have seen so far say definitely
either that EX127 actually became EX154 or that the car was destroyed - many
(but the author does not say whom) sources simply assume it was lost during
bombing.

He says that "that was just a throw away line".  So don't quote him from the
first edition of the book.

Now you need to understand that these latest comments from the Author come
less than 4 years after the book was written & the Author cannot remember
where they came from but has to go back & check his records.

Assuming that "the bombing" referred to occurred during World War 2, one could
safely assume the destruction of the car occurred after War started in 1939. I
have one photo of EX154 supposedly taken after that war.

So that is the basis of my concern.  That the correct facts are recorded.  The
end result is that a car originally produced by the MG Car Company (the
factory) can only ever be what it was made as or a FAKE, not a REPLICA.
Change it as much as you like & define "originality" how ever you will but
don't ever call it a REPLICA.

Many thanks to all who have contributed.

Pip Bucknell
AUSTRALIA