healeys

Re: [Healeys] Oil Additives

To: Wayne Schultz <waschu2@gmail.com>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Additives
From: Perry via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 21:51:12 -0400

--_4A5195D1-7F9A-49A4-90B3-1871BCCCDE4C_

Listers / Wayne
I was thinking about the way the cam lobes are lubricated in the original c=
onfiguration ( stock parts). Please chime in if this is way off.=20
It would seem most of the lubrication comes from the steady drip that comes=
 out at the rocker and runs down the pushrod. First the tappets (lifters) g=
et some oil, then passes by the lifter and then on to the cam lobe.=20
The oil dripping from the rocker shaft bushings drips onto the top of the h=
ead and drops through the pushrod holes to the lifter gallery. On some worn=
 out engines this is a flood instead of a drip. Then you have the oil fog t=
hat is in the crank case/oil pan area when the engine is running due to the=
 squirt of oil coming out of the piston rods big ends. The intent was to oi=
l down the piston bores but coats pretty much everything.
The bucket lifters, which by the way was an old hot rod trick from the earl=
y days of Austin Healeys, using lighter weight lifters out of a straight ei=
ght Oldsmobile (if I remember correctly) and longer pushrods may or may not=
 be drilled to allow oil to the cam lobe/lifter face. Some guys used pressu=
rized oil to squirt the interface when the bucket was not drilled. The buck=
et lifters sold years ago that did not have a hole in the lifters had failu=
re problems. A hole was added but the problem with the drilled hole in the =
bucket it could clog and there was little to no lubrication of the cam lobe=
s, thus major wear. =20
I=E2=80=99m not suggesting that the can lobe failure was caused by a plugge=
d hole in the lifter since I did not work on this engine. But it is a possi=
bility.=20
Perry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10