healeys

[Healeys] Oil Additives

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Oil Additives
From: Wayne Schultz <waschu2@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 16:41:49 -0400

--0000000000002c109305a44bbf87

Hello everyone, I recently completed a rebuild of the engine in my Healey
3000. At 48K miles i noticed metal during an oil change. I dropped my oil
pan and found even more metal and a silver ring in the block that lined up
with a cam lobe. I had been using Mobil 1 for years and always had good oil
pressure and a very quiet motor.  I pulled the motor and upon teardown I
found one bad cam lobe and several lifters that had mild pitting.  I
thought about how I used my car and came to conclusion  I, rather than the
oil might be the  reason for the cam failure.  I drove my car every couple
of weeks in nice weather. This is just enough time for the oil to leave the
cam and lifters to drain into the pan. This meant the next time I started
the engine the cam and lifters might have been metal on metal.  My new
lifters are short bucket lifters with a drain hole to lubricate the cam
lobes. Now using VR-1 20/50

--0000000000002c109305a44bbf87

 engine in my Healey 3000. At 48K miles i noticed metal during an oil chang=
e. I dropped my oil pan and found even more metal and a silver ring in the =
block that lined up with a cam lobe. I had been using Mobil 1 for years and=
 always had good oil pressure and a very quiet motor.=C2=A0 I pulled the mo=
tor and upon teardown I found one bad cam lobe and several lifters that had=
 mild pitting.=C2=A0 I thought about how I used my car and came to conclusi=
on=C2=A0 I, rather than the oil might=C2=A0be=C2=A0the=C2=A0 reason for the=
 cam failure.=C2=A0 I drove my car every couple of weeks in nice weather. T=
his is just enough time for the oil to leave the cam and lifters to drain i=
nto the pan. This meant the next time I started the engine the cam and lift=
ers=C2=A0might have been metal on metal.=C2=A0 My new lifters are short buc=
ket lifters with a drain hole to lubricate=C2=A0the cam lobes. Now using VR=

--0000000000002c109305a44bbf87--

--===============4186011347781669858==