healeys

Re: [Healeys] Oil Additives

To: "'Perry'" <healeyguy@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Additives
From: "Hap Polk" <happolk@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 07:37:39 -0700
Authentication-results: cox.net; auth=pass (LOGIN) smtp.auth=happolk@cox.net a=sNPSI2B+JHjbEtr9A9Ltlw==:117 a=sNPSI2B+JHjbEtr9A9Ltlw==:17 a=DAwyPP_o2Byb1YXLmDAA:9 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=yMhMjlubAAAA:8 a=G7hehYYUUWzdLQSqLf8A:9 a=xd791H8CIsnAr69P:21 a=o4O2Rio1FL-UUINW:21 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=z82PXpuvIRwA:10 a=SSmOFEACAAAA:8 a=2MPpg5dI_Edh_qXA:21 a=ho_7pI4JeH74fumW:21 a=iP8uK80X5W5AOVrc:21 a=gKO2Hq4RSVkA:10 a=UiCQ7L4-1S4A:10 a=hTZeC7Yk6K0A:10 a=frz4AuCg-hUA:10 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=oyxl1VkZqiWkiBZTyBQo:22

--===============3789785933887888224==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D61D2F.E6851C80"

------=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D61D2F.E6851C80
        charset="utf-8"

Perry,

Ii was a Buick Straight-8 (Fireball 8) engine from 1931 to 1953. The =
small block version, up to 273 cubic inch capacity came with lifters and =
push rods that could be dropped in a Healey 4-cylinder. The lifters were =
considerably lighter, especially if one added an oil drain hole to the =
lubricate the cam and not have to lift a bucket of oil each revolution. =
The push rods were slightly larger in diameter and appeared to my eye to =
be stronger. The Buick lifter and push rods coupled with Dodge valves =
and  titanium valve spring caps was the hot set up. When joined by an =
Isky or Crane cam, rumors were a 4-cylider could touch 8,000 rpm for =
brief moments. I was never able to verify the 8,000 rpm story told by =
some Southern California BMC dealers in the late 50s and early 60s. In =
1961, I ran the Buick lifters and push rods with an Isky =C2=BE race cam =
in a ported head. My personal rpm limit remained 4,800 rpm. Mid-range =
torque was improved per my butt meter.

=20

The Healey-Hunter DOHC conversion engine race redline was 7,000 rpm. =
Their cranks were fully polished and ran with lighter pistons and rods. =
Avoiding resonance frequencies, especially around 5,200 rpm was =
understood. In their very limited race life, no crank failures were =
noted, but rapid cam wear was.=20

=20

Does anyone know what race rpm limit some Healey 4-clynders engines are =
running these days with a steel billet crank, lighter internals, and a =
somewhat reinforcing cast aluminum sump?

Hap Polk

100M

=20