healeys

Re: [Healeys] Oil Additives

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Additives
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 12:50:47 -0700

--------------63F188092925A3106E95459A

I noticed something interesting/odd--'interestingly odd?'--the other day
at 'my' Costco: They no longer carried any non-synthetic oil besides
Shell Rotella.  Along with the usual Mobil 1, they offered 'Kirkland
Synthetic' in the lighter grades (0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 10W30).

There may come a day we can no longer get plain 'dino' oil, esp. in the
lighter grades.

On 4/26/2020 9:37 AM, Richard Collins wrote:
> FWIW:
>
> Iâ??ve been running Brad Penn Green 30w for 10-12 years in my BN7 with
> no apparent issue. I understand the ZDDP has been reduced/removed from
> it in recent years but I am still using up inventory. I only run 2000
> miles or so a year ( including a few track laps) but change it every
> other year or two.
> I have a variety of other cars, air cooled, water cooled and tracked
> all of which use Mobil 1 synthetic of various grades except the wifeâ??s
> Lexus which gets dealer bulk whatever. Have thought about trying Mobil
> 1 on the Healey but increased leak risks prevent me from doing that yet.
> I always change filters on every oil change and open to inspect Them.
> Last year I found plastic and shavings in my track car oil filter so
> had new IMS and RMS replaced, (just in time at 86k hard miles)
> Just my .$02 on this thread.
>
> Regards,
> Richard C
> BN7 #440
>

>> On Apr 26, 2020, at 11:15, Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net> wrote:
>>

>> Interested to see that you feel it necessary to add additional zinc.
>> VR1 already has 1300 ppm ?
>> Is there a consensus on what amount is actually needed? Think that
>> you can have too much too ?
>> Am a VR1 user but don't add anything.
>> rg

  <head>
  </head>
    I noticed something interesting/odd--'interestingly odd?'--the other
    day at 'my' Costco: They no longer carried any non-synthetic oil
    besides Shell Rotella.  Along with the usual Mobil 1, they offered
    'Kirkland Synthetic' in the lighter grades (0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30,
    10W30).<br>
    There may come a day we can no longer get plain 'dino' oil, esp. in
    the lighter grades.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:BYAPR15MB24058C97A0A448CA7750ABCDBFAE0@BYAPR15MB2405.namprd15.prod.outlook.com">
      Iâ??ve been running Brad Penn Green 30w for 10-12 years in my BN7
      with no apparent issue. I understand the ZDDP has been
      reduced/removed from it in recent years but I am still using up
      inventory. I only run 2000 miles or so a year ( including a few
      track laps) but change it every other year or two.
        tracked all of which use Mobil 1 synthetic of various grades
        except the wifeâ??s Lexus which gets dealer bulk whatever. Have
        thought about trying Mobil 1 on the Healey but increased leak
        risks prevent me from doing that yet.</div>
        inspect Them. Last year I found plastic and shavings in my track
        car oil filter so had new IMS and RMS replaced, (just in time at
        86k hard miles)<br>
        Just my .$02 on this thread.</div>
            <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:roggrace@telus.net";>&lt;roggrace@telus.net&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;}</style>
              additional zinc. VR1 already has 1300 ppm ?<br>
              Think that you can have too much too ?<br
                data-mce-bogus="1">
                data-mce-bogus="1">
              From: Bruce Steele <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeybruce@roadrunner.com";>&lt;healeybruce@roadrunner.com&gt;</a><br>
              To: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:wwycoffbn7@aol.com";>wwycoffbn7@aol.com</a>, 'healeylist'
              <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;Healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
              Sent: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 08:41:40 -0600 (MDT)<br>
              Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Additives<br>
                  MS',sans-serif;" data-mce-style="font-family:
                  'Trebuchet MS',sans-serif;">I add a bottle of Red Line
                  break-in additive with my annual oil change of
                  Valvoline VR-1 20W50 racing oil.</span></p>
                  MS',sans-serif;" data-mce-style="font-family:
                  'Trebuchet MS',sans-serif;"> </span></p>
                  MS',sans-serif;" data-mce-style="font-family:
                  'Trebuchet MS',sans-serif;">Bruce Steele</span></p>
                  MS',sans-serif;" data-mce-style="font-family:
                  'Trebuchet MS',sans-serif;">Brea, CA</span></p>
                  MS',sans-serif;" data-mce-style="font-family:
                  'Trebuchet MS',sans-serif;">1960 BN7</span></p>

--------------63F188092925A3106E95459A--

--===============1302806797273809938==