Re: CC'ing a head

To: Daniel Neuman <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>,
Subject: Re: CC'ing a head
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:17:28 -0600
> Daniel

> Okay I'm following you except where do I smear the Vaseline exactly?
> I smear the Vaseline on the valve seats when the valves are up yes?  Just
> enough to seal the valve but not gook up the combustion chamber?  Then I put
> a light coating on the head surface to get the plexi to seal without getting
> any in the chamber.  Okay I think I got it.  I am still scared to turn the
> cam by hand though....How do I know its lubed?  The machine shop that redid
> the head should of done that when they re-assembled right?
> Yep I have some burettes and syringes in my Halloween stash that I
> have been saving for just this occasion.
> I just discovered that I have tomorrow off so I want to try to do
> this then.

To get the chambers on one of my L-4 SSS heads cced I pulled the rockers and
the cam, but left the valve, springs and retainers installed. Since the
chambers had not been worked on I just had one measured and it was around
$25 at a reputable machine shop in Ft. Worth, IIRC. They were experienced
and I think I had a better chance of getting an accurate measurement.

FWIW,
Ron