RE: CC'ing a head

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CC'ing a head
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:53:24 -0800
Just take the rocker arms out before you do anything else and all the valves
will be closed.

The likelihood that the head has had some machine work done in the chamber
is pretty small unless you bought the head from a racer. Measuring the
thickness with a micrometer or a very good caliper will give you a
reasonable baseline. A stock 2000 head is 4.528-4,530" thick.

If you do actually CC the head, you will most likely see variation from
chamber to chamber. This is because the valves can be sunk different amounts
due to valve seat grinding.

As far as the cam-center-to-crank-center distance goes, shimming the head if
it has been milled will restore that distance, as long as the cam towers
haven't been shimmed. The wipe problem occurs when you shim the cam towers,
because that increases the distance between the cam and the rockers. With a
milled head, you can shim on the bottom of the head or on the top of the
head, but you shouldn't do both.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA