Re: New to list

To: mad@madgrizzle.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New to list
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:16:31 +0000
Hi John,

I think we ought to clarify this.
The "standard" Datsun 2000 Sports in the US market was the 135hp version
which is most easily identified by the carby set up - SU's on that one,
Solex's on the "race" engine.

I believe that bits and pieces for the SU variant - as others have said,
only 15hp less than the "Solex" motor - are still not so much a problem - as
I'm Downunder, I can't really comment on availability.

So, what I'm saying is, you don't have to discount the 2 litre, (is it that
much more a pain for bits as a 1600, guys?) but you may be wise to not worry
about looking for a full race optioned "solex" version.
At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

Besides, I reckon that the R16 crowd are just jealous!
(Ducks and runs!) - Just kidding, folks!

Down here in Australia (I'm in Melbourne, Victoria - right at the bottom if
you don't count Tasmania, and hell, we never do! ;)  )
we were lucky in that all the 2 litres that came over were the 150hp variant
- so again, I'm not in a position to compare a 2000 Solex to a 2000 SU.
However, as I was looking around for my purchase, I was lucky enough for a
guy in the local club to give me a spin in his 1600.  With the right
modifications (mainly exhaust, IMHO - maybe ports and valve work if you're
really feeling sexy) the R16 is absolutely no slouch.

Cheers,
Steve
('68 2000 Solex)