Re: New to list

To: mad@madgrizzle.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New to list
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 07:46:47 +0000
Hi John,

Welcome, welcome, welcome!  Glad to meet you, good to meet a fellow roadster
nut - even if they're an owner-in-waiting!  God knows I was an OIW for many,
many years before I got my baby.

You're basically right about the model you're looking for.  As others, no
doubt, will tell you, it's the SRL311 or SR311 (the L is for "left hand
drive) that has the gob-smacking, rev-loving, sex-on-a-gearstick U20 2 litre
overhead-cam motor.  However, it comes in two forms.  Most US cars came in a
less highly tuned 135hp version, and the goodies that turn it into the 150hp
fire-breather (hey guys, I'm having fun with this post, cut me some slack!)
that you've referred to are optional extras.  They include a wilder camshaft
(referred to as the 'B' cam), Solex carbs (replacing the SU's), and a deeper
oilpan.  So you'll either have to do some searching, or you'll have to find
the bits to get it to full spec.  Ignore what anyone says about driveability
of the full "Solex" set-up.  I have one as my daily driver, and it's just
fine.  If you're used to driving a V8, though, you'll find it kinda peaky,
to say the least.  Those 150 horses really only come out to play up high in
the rev range.  But once they're out... Maybe I'll send my recent story to
you for a feeling of these things.  I just love my Datsun 2000 to death,
though.

Having said all that, I wouldn't recommend one as a daily driver, simply
because parts and expertise are rare enough that it could leave you stuck -
it is a 30+ year old car we're talking about, after all.

Well, I've said about all I have to say.  Welcome again, hope you find your
dream.

Cheers,
Steve
1968 2000 Solex
(Melbourne - Australia, sorry, or we could have hooked up, eh?)