Re: Pilot bearing

To: "Thomas Walter" <twalter@austin.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:45:20 -0400
I tried that grease method and it never worked even when using an old input
shaft as the rod.

I have a special tool to remove pilot bushings and other bushings which
works well providing that some Yahoo mechanic did not drive the bushing all
the way into the fltwheel as happened on my last flywheel. I had to use a
chisel to cut it up and then remove it in pieces.

Do not drive the new bushing all the way into the flywheel. Leave it flush.
I use a block of wood to drive it in as it's soft and will not damage the
bushing. Grease it up before driving it in. You can use a socket but make
sure you drive it in squarely and use a hammer gently.

Mike