Re: Pilot bearing

To: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 07:54:35 -0700
snyler wrote:

> List,
>      Any advice on how to properly replace a pilot bearing?  How to
> remove safely, how to put the new one in straight, any lubrication, etc.
> Ronnie Day was down yesterday, a wealth of info as you all know, but I
> forgot to ask him (D'oh!).

Marc,
The easiest way to remove the pilot bearing is with a
special slide hammer used for the bearing.  A few taps
and it comes right out.  To install a new one, clean the
crank shaft area and drive the new one in.  I think there
is probably a special tool designed for the task but I
have used either a soft metal drift or you can use the
back side of a socket against the bearing and tap it
into the hole.  Definitely grease the bearing and input
shaft before the trany and engine go back together.
Bob,
Moscow
67.5