Re: Pilot bearing

To: "R Haug" <haugchiro@moscow.com>, "snyler" <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 08:43:24 -0700
The only reason a Pilot Bearing will wear out is:  Holding the clutch pedal
in while at a stop and revving the engine.  If when you come to a stop you
put the transmission in neutral and release the clutch, you will probably
never have to worry about the Pilot Bearing failure, not to mention the
Clutch Throwout Bearing failure.  When you are at a stop and you cannot seem
to shift into gear without grinding the gears, it is most likely a Pilot
Bearing failure.  That bearing allows the transmission to stop turning while
the engine continues to run.  If the bearing fails, there is no slippage and
the crankshaft and the transmission shaft will act as one continuously.  Pat