Re: Pilot bearing

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 11:21:00 -0500
Marc,

Ditto for Pat's comment.

Here in Texas on hot days, I have stuffed the wheel bearing
grease into the 'fridge for a day ahead of time. Makes it
nice and thick.

Pack it into the recess with your finger. Use a small 1/4"
dowel to help push it in, which releases the air back out.

Find a metal rod the correct size as the pilot shaft. Stick
is into the recess, and WHACK IT with good hammer. I have an
old defunct input shaft around here I use for that reason.

If you are up this way, stop in and I'll make you the tool.
Takes about 15 minutes. No, won't ship them. I will not accept
money for it either. Just a cold dark ALE, PORTER, or STOUT.

Cheers,

Tom