Re: Pilot bearing

To: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Subject: Re: Pilot bearing
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 10:35:28 -0500 (CDT)
I Don't remember if that bearing is a ball bearing, or a metal
bushing.  If you find a retainer (which I don't believe there
is), remove it.  Try to find a piece of metal or wood tht fits closely
the inside diameter of the bearing.  Fill the cavity behind the bearing
with stiff grease, such as wheel bearing grease.  Put as much grease in
as you can, getting as much air as possible out.  Put the wood or
metal against the grease in the center of the bearing and hit it with
a big hammer.  Watch out for flying grease, it will some times blow all
over the place.  The hydraulic action of the pressure on the grease will
normally pop out the bearing.  If thta doesn't work and the bearing is
a bushing you can carefully drill small holes through the bushing from
exposed end in, parallel to the crankshaft.  Do this on opposite sides of
the bearing.  Then use a small cold chisle to pop the halves apart and
out.

To put the new bearing in, just be careful to keep it s aligned with the
crank as you can, I have never had one go in crooked.

I used wheel bearing grease, but there may be a better grease
these days.

Good Luck,
Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner