Re: Datsun Roadster Electronic Distributor on Ebay

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Datsun Roadster Electronic Distributor on Ebay
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:00:30 -0600
Oops, thought I'd better chime in here since I've got one of Gary
Boone's EI distributors.

1. I was willing to buy an EI dizzie JUST so's I wouldn't have to
  *@(#&!@ around with the timing and points all the time!
2. I was drawn to the reasonable price, which eliminated all my
  previous possible problems (Autozone distr'r, breaker plate screw(s?)
  stripped, vac diaphragm of dubious value, points, ballast resistor,
  etc).
3. I was impressed with the efforts Gary put into matching the right
  (NEW) components to original roadster spec; example: my vac advance
  diaphragm (courtesy of Autozone) was such piece of cr*p, I was glad to
  know he'd check the curve out on his, and it was a done deal.
4. He's packaged (and included excellent instructions for) this thing so
  that even a shade tree mechanic like myself can install it and start
  it on the first try.
5. Runs smoother! Well, I can't _swear_ to a massive improvement - as
  you may recall I've been battling grose jet problems, and got several
  things solved at about the same exact time.
6. Gary is an honest, racing, ROADSTER owner! We're not talking some
  non-roadstering joker trying to build dizzies out of junkyard parts
  for a fast buck! Check out his webpage at http://www.wycroc.org (go
  to 'The Gang', then 'Gary Boone') to see how much effort/knowledge
  he's put into his car.

  I don't know anything about the control module - Laurie made some
interesting points there (if it fails). Have to check w/ Gary on
where he got 'em and how much to replace.
  I guess a lot of the issue comes down to how much do-it-yourselfing
you like to do. Me, I'm learning dizzies and carbs by the day, but
still figure they're important enough parts of the car that I feel
better buying 'em from someone that's done all the homework on them
for me. If you're due for a new distributor (ex: worn shaft), and/or
are a shade tree mechanic that doesn't want to have to worry about
ignition problems, I recommend 'em!

Dan Neff    '69 2000
Colorado Springs, CO