Re: Datsun Roadster Electronic Distributor on Ebay

To: RWM@rwmann.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Datsun Roadster Electronic Distributor on Ebay
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 13:16:18 EDT
In a message dated 9/1/01 8:27:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,

> OK, so, prolonging the dwell, so to speak, of this distributor mod, what
>

>From strictly a maintenance point of view:

Pro - nothing to fiddle with for a VERY long time, and the cap/rotor should
be readily available at any parts place when it's finally time to replace.

Con: *IF* the control module goes out for any reason (and I do mean IF -
these things do seen to last a helluva long time) they can be quite expensive
to replace. I do not know which top they are using, but if you assume its
something like a b210 dist, the module for that easily can be $250.00 or more
depending on where you buy it. That usually comes as a shock to the owner who
is used to the control mod for a chevy running in the neighborhood of
$19.99.

That sounds really drastic in price. BUT - in defence of the nissan elect
dist ( and not wanting to rain on anybody's acution!) those control mod's
rarely go out.  I 'spose if you count up the times that a chev owner had to
replace theirs vs nissan, the chev owner has spent more over the yrs on that
particular part for their car. (as a bonus - some large retailers offer a
"lifetime warranty" on control modules when they sell them, and many of the
aftermarket brands are nothing buy repackaged nissan parts for such items)

If my car needed a dist & i had the $$ I would definately do such a
conversion on my car,   but.... "if it aint' broke......"

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ