Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??

To: Mike Kerr <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Subject: Re: Major Armchair engineering A SuperCharged Roadster??
From: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 23:34:58 -0400
Mike, I never suggested that you didn't have a turbo roadster.  There are lots
of cobbled together turbo rigs on lots of cars out there, why not on a roadster?
I wouldn't even doubt it would outrun a solex roadster, they only made 150 hp
on 100 octane fuel and factory fresh engines.

What I would question is:

305 hp on an SU carb turbo? ok,
17 lbs boost?
on pump gas?
w/o efi and knock sensor
with factory cast pistons?

Like I said you are alot better than the rest of us wantabe engine builders.

Even if we say all that is perfectly honest and accurate, the biggest
thing I would question is anyone who would suggest that another person actually
do it that way!

All fixed mechanical systems?  What happens when you get one bad tank of gas,
or you run out of water injection at the wrong instant?
And you have cured all detonation problems with 93 octane fuel and
no electronics, simply amazing?

I do think you are being selfish though Mike for not sharing all this knowledge
with
the rest of the world,  think of the billions that could have been saved
by all the auto makers.  All those wasted dollars on high tech gizmos
like EFI and electronics.

Hell, Nissan could still be using the U20, Mike Kerr edition in all vehicles,
they could have saved BILLIONS not developing all the cool engines they have
done.
What a waste of money, they would be the leaders in the industry!

Mike, I am sure your turbo runs great, but I think you may be the only person in
the
automotive world that would suggest running 17 pounds of boost, with an SU carb,
and no electronics on a 60's vintage engine without updates.  Truly unique.

You and Daniel ARE a match!

As for me, it's back to the garage to finish dialing in the cam on the
customers forged piston, solex engine that I only talk about....

Jim