Re: Searching for a J15 motor

To: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>,
Subject: Re: Searching for a J15 motor
From: "jdg1" <jdg1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:50:26 -0700
Well, I'm probably going to get flamed for this but remember the following
is not a recommendation for a roadster -- I'm just trying to respond to a
question posted to the roadster list.

Way back in high school days (early '70's) I had a L-520 pickup with the
J-13 motor.  I rebuilt the engine in auto shop and it ran quite well --
except it was gutless.  I needed more power!  Of course it had more power
than my "other" car a '60 Peugeot SW.

I was working after school at a wrecking yard and was trying to decide how
to resolve the power question.  A local MG mechanic showed me that an MGB
motor would replace a J-13 -- almost a direct bolt in.  Perhaps this could
be a solution for your friend's 320 pickup.  I'm not sure but I think later
MGB engines were either 1800 or 2000 cc's -- remember there is no substitute
for cubic inches (centimeters just doesn't sound quite right).

I resolved my pickup's lack of power the true American way -- Buick V6/three
speed automatic and the datsun PU's stock 4.88 rear end (welded the spider
gears together).  I never had much money for beer -- needed the money for
rear tires -- they just seemed to melt away.

Jerry

'69 SRL 311
'86 Alfa Romeo GTV6 (not crying yet -- plenty of smiles though)
'98 Ford F150 SC 4x4
'99 Cannondale Raven w/disc brakes
'99 Colnago Master X-Light