Re: R1600 Head Stuff

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: R1600 Head Stuff
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 22:00:53 -0700
Too true,
        But the rockers DO care what angle they're at.  As long as your valves
are about stock length, you should be fine- you'd just back the
adjusters out a bit.
        But I'm starting to suspect that my 1600 has short valves in it- the
rockers sit at a pretty noticable cant toward the stems, and I've been
plagued with excessive noise since it was rebuilt.  One would think that
the rockers would be more or less perpendicular to the valve when the
valve was about 1/2 open, no?
        There are evil plans in the back of my brain to drop in a 2L (rendering
my rocker-geometry concerns moot) but when the 1600 comes out, I think
I'll pull the head and check it out.  Kinda wierd, considering I trust
the machinist I use, but we're all human...
        And I agree- unless you wanna shell out big bucks, flattop the pistons
and be done with it.  If you put in the 2L flattops, you'll need to bore
the block and balance the bottom end,  and that gets kinda pricey and
involved...
Toby