Re: R1600 Head Stuff

To: "Jim Tyler" <jtyler29@idt.net>, <BERKEN@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: R1600 Head Stuff
From: "PATRICK P. CASTRONOVO" <slick@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:38:25 -0700
I was not aware of that.  I thought they were basically the same engine
except for the cam, and carbs.  You learn something new every day on this
list.  So then he still has the problem of his pistons hitting the valves.
If he has to pull the pistons to cut the domes off, then he may as well put
in new pistons.  If he pulls the pistons, he may as well put in new rod
bearings.  As long as he has the pan off to put in new rod bearings, he may
as well go the distance and put in all the main bearings.  OH, Hell!  To do
all this you must pull the engine.  May as well take the engine to a Machine
shop and let them rebuild the whole kit and kaboodle.  Then put it back in,
and just drive.