Re: R1600 Head Stuff

To: <Robert.Long@CSDInc.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: R1600 Head Stuff
From: "PATRICK P. CASTRONOVO" <slick@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:59:15 -0700
When I took my 67.5 2000 head in to be worked on, the machinist that worked
on it was not familiar with overhead cams, or he did'nt care about what he
was doing.  He milled the head, almost to a point of eliminating the
combustion chamber.  I have installed two head gaskets, and the most
important thing is you need to have a machine shop make you cam tower shims.
Otherwise your timing chain will have too much slack in it, and possibly
will break, or at the least, jump time.  Neither of which would be
acceptable.  In the long run, it may be cheaper for you to purchase a new,
or used head and start over.