road rage

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: road rage
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:08:03 -0500
I don't recall seeing any of our British or Australian members talking about
road rage and driving slow in the fast lane.  I spent a month driving around
England a few years ago and the rules over there were much better adhered
to.  You stay in the slow lane at all times except to pass, then you move
back immediately to the slow lane.  No trucks in the third (fastest) lane at
any time.  And no guns.  I drove a Rover (very small and slow) as fast as it
would go on occasion, and except for a few glitches on the "round-abouts"
and the stuff I hung from the rear view mirror, no one knew I was from a
foreign country.  Of course, most of my driving was on half-lane "highways"
behind a lorry or a "caravan" at half speed.  I think our problem in the
U.S.A. is that (1) we are more agressive in everything we do (2) we don't
train our new drivers properly (3) there are no consequences for most of our
inappropriate behavior. Except for the rare death or severe beating (and
they are rare, considering the miles we all travel) we suffer only mental
anguish.  America has more police per capita than any other country, and
most of them are on traffic duty.  Call 911 and give them a license number
and tell them what you saw.  They will catch the wrongdoer and apply
consequences. Of course, if YOU are the wrongdoer (keep right except to pass
IS the law) you will suffer the consequences.

Here's a thought.  Buy a video camera and mount it in your car, like the
police do.  Every Monday take your week's worth of tapes to the local
constabulary and have them arrest and fine all the identifiable drivers.
Offer to appear as a witness.

Leisure Suit Terry