RE: Collector Car

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Collector Car
From: "John E. Stromgren" <jstromgr@sqi.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:38:00 -0700 (PDT)
Here's my take on the "investment" angle:

When my 78 Corolla was wearing out, I figured I could replace all kinds of
things and I'd still have a car with no practical resale value.

With the Datsun, I figured that if I ever have to sell it (perish the thought!),
I'd probably be able to get what I originally paid for it, if not a little bit
more, provided I can keep it in good condition.

That's pretty good for a car, right?

Now of course one can't figure in all the money that goes into "keeping it in
good condition" - that's just the cost of keeping up an old car.  Like having a
house, you spend lots to keep it up, but you actually end up with something for
all your work.  My other car, good as it was, and I really did like it, reminded
me of paying rent - no value, no real joy, past the next payment.

So, was the Datsun a sound investment, car-wise?  It still brings joy!

Naively yours,

-John
John E. Stromgren
'70 2000 (#14061)