RE: Collector Car

To: "shifty" <shifty@well.com>,
Subject: RE: Collector Car
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:35:40 -0500
>Even a roadster rebuild series along the lines of the Ro-Spit project in
>Grassroots Motorsports would go a long way. A transformation from
>barn-find into auto-x or vintage racer would be cool.

That might be a possibility, Leigh. GRM and ZCCD are about the only big
national rags that cover the older cars now. SCC used to have
semi-regular 510 and Z columns, but recently they've gone strictly to the
newer stuff with too much (IMHO) emphasis on the non-import (to the US)
unobtainum models. Trying to compete with Super Street and other import
drag oriented mags I guess.

Dave Coleman was even doing a 510 buildup, but I haven't seen or heard
anything on it in a long time. I was browsing the current issue of SCC at
the bookstore yesterday and Dave had an article about this year's One
Lap. There was no mention of Dean Sherman's 510 entry at all.
Disappointing. I dropped my subscription a couple of months ago. May have
to replace it with GRM.

Even with the various logistical problems Marc's been experiencing in
getting ZCCD out on a regular basis (which he's working hard to take of),
it's an excellent resource aimed specifically at our cars. We need to
support his efforts.

It couldn't hurt to write/email GRM either. Many we should start a
campaign? The last issue that I picked before leaving for Shasta has an
article on a VERY nice restified (restored, but with some updates) TR-3.
The car is simply gorgeous. Reminded me some of how Gordon personalized
his Roadster.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)