RE: Collector Car

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Collector Car
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:05:24 -0400
I agree with you completely that the Roadster market generally doesn't support
remanufacturing
most parts.  The limited number clearly prohibits that.

Of course it would certainly help if 2 or 3 times as many roadsters were going
throught
real restorations.   Instead they are just getting junked instead largely
because it isn't cost
effective to do anything with them.

My point with the Mustang is that there is a stong parts line and restoration
industry ALSO
because it is a desireable, collectable car.   This is in part because it has
been endlessly
promoted as "the classic affordable restoration".

Desireabilty and collectability are key.   If the car wasn't desireable that
industry wouldn't exist
even with the numbers produced.

Chevy has made millions of utility vans, you don't see a restoration industry
built around that.
(If there is one hiding, It certainly doesn't hold a candle to the Mustangs
popularity.  That
isn't a function of numbers, that is a function of desireablility and broad
popularity).

Those were two things that I thought we could improve upon as a group, thereby
improving
the value of the cars.

Jim