Re: brake problem

To: "Dennis Desmond" <lilden@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: brake problem
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:03:55 -0500
> hello all,
> i recently purchased a 1969 1600 in real nice shape. a couple of days ago i
> noticed she was pulling left with the brake pedal depressed. i brought her
> in to a local shop to be checked(i think the guy is a good mechanic and
> fair but has never worked with a roadster before) he says that one rotor is
> shot, and one caliper is sticking. he thinks i should go for two new rotors
> and two new calipers, as well as pads all around. he says one rotor has a
> ridge in it and if he grinds below it, it will be too thin, leaving me with
> one rotor thicker than the other. he says this can be unsafe.i'm looking
> for some of you veterans to advise me(knowing you have not checked the car
> yourself). what do you think?
> dennis
> 1969 1600
> (hi mark)

Having two different thickness rotors will not cause any harm.  Having one too
thin will.  If your mechanic can grind the rotor down to get rid of the ridge,
and the rotor still be thicker than minimum, I would go with that.

Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne