Re: Towing Without a Trailer

To: island@whidbey.net, tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: Re: Towing Without a Trailer
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 07:46:04 -0600
> Pull-ee.  Automatic trannys get lubrication via a pump; the pump only
> runs when the engine is running.  So don't use a tow bar to pull a
> vehicle with an auto tranny unless you remove the drive shaft.  Which
> is kind of hard to do with a front-wheel-drive car.  To tow a front-drive
> auto-tranny vehicle, use a tow dolly.  And when using a tow dolly,
> don't get yourself into a position where you have to back up!  Been
> there, done that, it was ugly...
> --
One big fat "OOOOOPS" here for me!

When I towed the 'Mav' I  used a tow dolly. The Mav. has an auto tranny.
Not being familiar ith auto trannys and their lube systems, or really giving
a shit about the Mav., I put it front wheels first on the tow dolly,
stuck the shifter in neutral and towed 150 miles.

The tranny still works in a fashion...