Re: Towing Without a Trailer

To: island@whidbey.net
Subject: Re: Towing Without a Trailer
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 94 7:57:42 CST
> >    All this discussion about trailers reminds me of a related project
> >I've been thinking of:  What about tow bars?  I know they're verboten
> >for cars with automatic transmissions, but both my LBCs have sticks.
>
> Er, pardoon my ignorance. But, that *is* why this list exists ... or, is it
> for the non-lbc content, e.g. bovinne nutrement?   :)  Anyhoo, uh, why are
> they verboten on auto?  And is that refeered to a pull-er that's automatic?
>  or a pull-ee?

Pull-ee.  Automatic trannys get lubrication via a pump; the pump only
runs when the engine is running.  So don't use a tow bar to pull a
vehicle with an auto tranny unless you remove the drive shaft.  Which
is kind of hard to do with a front-wheel-drive car.  To tow a front-drive
auto-tranny vehicle, use a tow dolly.  And when using a tow dolly,
don't get yourself into a position where you have to back up!  Been
there, done that, it was ugly...
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA