Towing Without a Trailer

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Towing Without a Trailer
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 12:58:07 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings!

    All this discussion about trailers reminds me of a related project
I've been thinking of:  What about tow bars?  I know they're verboten
for cars with automatic transmissions, but both my LBCs have sticks.

   Now, I take pretty good care of the Clankster, but fifteen years in
this hobby have made me a pessimist :-).  I don't worry about driving it
to work and back, because I know I'm always a $100 tow from home.  But
oftentimes british-car events in the far reaches of the state beckon.
What if the car were to die far away?

   Coincidentally, the family has grown to where one LBC isn't enough
for a long trip;  we have to drive two cars.  My little Japanese pickup
is rated to tow 3500 pounds if you put on a Class III receiver.

   So my thought is to get the Class III hitch for the truck, and when
we go to one of those long-distance british-car ``things'', throw
a tow bar in the truck just in case.

  So, what do you folks think?  Is it reasonable and safe to tow a car, say,
500 miles, with a tow bar?

                                   - Jerry Kaidor