RE: Towing without a trailer

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Towing without a trailer
From: rolf@star.inst.bnl.gov
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 94 08:23:23 EST
General info:

Back in 1977 I towed my 1970 TVR behind a 1964 Chevy Van from California to
upstate New York.
I modified a VW tow bar and welded a couple of flanges to my chassis. The rear
suspension on the TVR allowed me to remove the axle external drive shafts,
effectively turning the car into a four
wheeled trailer.

Problems:
1. Being a typical California Van it had monster tires on the back ( PO) they
kicked up so much sand  that at the end of my trip I had a perfectly
sandblasted windshield in the TVR. So bad that I can't drive the car at night.

2. You can't back up when you tow this way, so you really have to watch where
you park.

3. I now tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee It is a great tow vehicle, If I had to
go a long distance
again I would buy or rent a trailer and put a cover on the car.

Rolf