Out of wack SUs.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Out of wack SUs.
From: nglassbe@acs.bu.edu (Noah Glassberg)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 00:25:22 -0400
        Help.  I am having the toughest time getting the carbureters on my '74
Midget in tune.  2 days back, I decided to take the carbs off of Smidgie and
give them a thorough cleaning/examination.  Well, the throttle spindle and valve
were well worn so I replaces them with much less worn ones from a spare carb f
that came off of a 67 Sprite.  Also cleaned out the muck from the bottom of the
float chambers and double checked that everything was up to snuff.  After making
sure that everything was a-ok, I decided that today was the day to refit those
archaic babys.  They slapped on no problem, gave the engine a turn and vroom
vroom, a lovely choke and sputter that sounded nothing like the putputput
from before.  Damn I thought, I guess the carbs are out of tune.  I spent a good
four hours trying to tune up the car, using a Hayes manual but the state of
tunage only got a bit better.  The car idles semi-smoothly with puffs of black
smoke comming from the tail pipe.  When driven under load (above 2500 or so)
the car backfires like a son of a gun and sputters and generally drives like #

$#%@!  Ah yes, the backfiring also happens at idle, but not all that frequently.
I checked the timing/distributor/plugs etc. and all were fine.  The car was
driving nicely before the cleaning (yes I know... stupid idea to mess with
anything that is working) so I am assuming that the problem lies in the carb.
>From the smoke, I am also assuming that the carb is running rich, but when I
try to adjust the mixture, the smoke sticks around even when the jets are all
the way up.  Well, I'm hoping someone out there in net-land has any suggestions
for a not so bright but well meaning british car lover who just couldn't keep
his mits off of something that I was almost satisfied with.

Noah Glassberg
nglassbe@bu.edu