Re: Gas tank holes.

To: gall@beta.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Subject: Re: Gas tank holes.
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@postoffice3.mail.cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 08:39:56
> I was thinking of flushing the tank with water, and then leaving some
> water in the bottom of it while I weld the tank (to help keep the heat
> down and to add water vapour to the petrol vapour - thereby reducing its
> flammability).

BOOM!

NO, NO, NO, NO! NEVER WELD A GAS TANK. Sparks, hight heat, etc. can ignite
the fuel, even with water in there. If there were somehow absolutley no
trace of fumes, (Sitting open for 50 years), it might be a different story.
Or, if you had some sure-fire way to chemically remove *everything*. I've
heard some pretty gory stories, of things even "professionals" did. Once.

To even solder a fuel tank requires a very well ventilated area, and a
soldering copper, (A soldering iron, heated externally). The heat source muct
be *well* removed from the work area.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There are slushing compounds, to coat the inside of the tank, and patch kits
with various "glues" for the outside. Fiberglass matting, or long-hair mix
can do a good job. Coat the whole surface. Of course, a nice new tank is
always nice...

Roger