Re: Gas tank holes.

To: gall@beta.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Subject: Re: Gas tank holes.
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 08:53:36 -0500 (CDT)
Greg Gall writes >

> the tank. Upon inspection, I found a pin hole (from rust) at the very
> lowest point in the tank.
>
> Has anybody had success in welding up gas tanks?
> ie. What should I do

Buy one of the epoxy preparations designed for repairing gas tanks.

>/not do?

Even THINK about welding on the tank.  Such an undertaking requires the
services of an experienced certified welder, who will fill the tank with
something besides gasoline.  The first thing is that you will have to
remove the tank from the car.  It is probably not worth it.

> I was thinking of flushing the tank with water, and then leaving some
> water in the bottom of it while I weld the tank (to help keep the heat
> down and to add water vapour to the petrol vapour - thereby reducing its
> flammability).

Either let a pro do it or leave welding out of the program.

BTW, when you get the leak fixed, you might consider taking the tank out
and doing the clean/coat slosh routine.  JC Whitless sells the kit for
about 25 bucks.  You do have to take the tank out for this.