Safety and Colours

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Safety and Colours
From: Andy Ashworth <tcsaca@aie.lreg.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 16:09:30 BST

Minimal Brit Car Content but otherwise an interesting little diversion.

In today's Daily Telegraph the an article caught my eye. It appears
that the UK Department of Transport have been conducting research into the
relationship between car colour and likelihood of a personal injury accident.
The rates of involvement of each colour per 10 000 licensed cars are as
follows:
        black   - 179
        white   - 160
        red     - 157
        blue    - 149
        grey    - 147
        gold    - 145
        silver  - 142
        beige   - 137
        green   - 134
        brown   - 133
        yellow  - 133
        other   - 139

If the insurers take note of these figures will I get a cheaper premium in a
yellow car? Should I respray my nice blue Spitfire yellow to make it safer?
Is the fact that hearses are black significant? What about duo-tone colours,
my wife has a red and grey Rover (Honda!) do we take the average?

Ah well, at least I know my taxes are being spent wisely!!

Andy Ashworth
Lloyd's Register                        email:  tcsaca@uk.co.lreg.aie
29, Wellesley Road                      Phone:  +44 (0)81 681 4723
Croydon                                 Fax:    +44 (0)81 681 4839
CR0 2AJ